We recently helped a new client with a full website for their business. Surprisingly, the company had been around for over 20 years and never had their own website. It reminds me of the saying “The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
Well, we did our normal thing: create a very well search engine optimized website, made the site responsive for all devices down to mobile ones, and made the site with high-conversion strategies (converting visitors to customers). We kept tabs on the client’s online presence in the Search Engines and to our surprise, his brand new sparkly site was on about page 20. Wow! What happened?
We found that the client had plenty of web presence in those 20+ years, just not in their control. His vendors, internet marketing companies, and listing services showed his phone number, address, etc, but not his website. We suggested that he updates his Google Plus (Google+) listing and see how that would help.
The result amazed both of us! He was in the number one spot the very next day! Google just didn’t know he had a website.
Don’t underestimate the importance of Google+ for your business
The time to add, claim or update your listing is right away. So how do you do it?
- Visit Google’s My Business website and start the process http://www.google.com/business/
- Search for your business by entering your company and address.
- Select your business from the listings and claim control of it.
- If your business is not listed, you will be prompted to add a listing
- If it is listed and you try to claim control and are told another use is in control, you then must get control of the listing. This can be a little complicated because Google wants to make sure that it’s not your competitor trying to control your listing. So, you must verify your identity either by a postcard mailed to the business address listed or a phone call shown in the listing.
- Once you have control, update your listing -THOROUGHLY! Add every little detail that you can to your listing and certainly be sure to add your website address.
This step can have significant impact on your Search Engine Results for your company. So take the time and get it done. If you get frustrated with the process, either slow down and attack it when you have some uninterrupted time or contact us for help. We can be hired to handle these tasks for you anytime.